Here’s a few quick links and some random thoughts.
- This one is very disappointing.
Disparaging the hard work of party activists and conservative groups is never a good idea or sign of strength. Despite claims to the contrary, I am not helping any one in this race. I want to see a fair endorsement where the best candidate wins. After that, its war and I feel if our battlefield is focused on a primary fight instead of voter outreach, ID, and aiming our rhetorical guns at the DFL its harming the cause. Do I have a preference sure, maybe its colored by how the other candidates have treated me and fellow hard working volunteers over the years. You have to remember that running a bus over someone tends to leave a lasting impression. Is it influencing my duties at CD6? Nope, I’m trying to raise money and build up the organization to be a fully functioning Death Star. All I have said is that I hope rather than tear apart our own side for a race the DFL won’t even compete in this year, we should focus efforts in competitive areas or districts we have completely ignored for decades. The 6th District is the most successful CD in the state, outpacing every other district when it comes to sending Republicans to St. Paul, turnout for statewide races, and making calls into other CDs who either are not willing to or able to mount a ground game or grassroots movement to elect their own candidates. Yes I am biased due to being part of CD6 leadership, BUT I have worked side by side with people from every coalition who understand that work needs to be done while everyone else is pointing fingers. If not for the work of hundreds of CD6 activists and volunteers in 2012, Dayton and the DFL would have had larger Majorities in St. Paul. We won 31 of the 33 Legislative races touching CD6 and made GOTV calls into dozens of Legislative Districts across the state. CD6 is not the District others should be pointing fingers at, they should be emulating our success. But frankly, that means putting down the keyboard and showing up to work rather than sitting back and bitching. The 6th District is the key to winning statewide. If people from the 7 other CDs spend all their time pouring gasoline on this race to divide and conquer our army of volunteers, its going to harm the statewide candidates.
- Not gonna lie, this one has me seriously considering my options.
House candidate Fenton leaving state GOP postBut after you read this post, you and I will both agree, that I will never be able to stop the blog and be happy, let alone simply be the second fiddle who only plays during the chorus. But a boy can dream, can’t he? The facts I strongly believe the party needs a nuts and bolts operations person very badly. there are lots of well intentioned and capable people at HQ, but they lack experience and knowledge. The whole BPOU / CD convention window debacle is all the proof you need that stupid mistakes easily happen when no one understands why its a stupid idea. Money and fineness are better now, but the party side of things is …. Maybe I’m wrong but we need a worker not a thinker or person looking to climb the ladder on their way to running for something else. Party first minded people. Not me first minded people are who should be considered to replace Kelly.
- I am still shocked at the cover up of the Obamacare disaster among the laundry list of other scandals Obama has perpetrated. If this were a private company every socialist in the administration and Congress would be demanding public tarring and feathering of the people who were behind it. Nixon spied on the DNC and destroyed the tapes. For that he was demonized. Obama’s administration is spying on the American public, using the IRS to penalize right leaning groups, and he’s trampling on the Constitution like its a bag fun of spiders. How there is not serious impeachment demands being brought forth is beyond me. He is breaking his oath of office and lies on a daily basis, yet the media just …..
- Paul Walker’s death in a fiery car crash should be used as a lesson on Hollywood and our society in general. No one thinks about their actions anymore. Walker’s main claim to fame, the Fast & Furious movie franchise, has glorified the very same behavior that caused his own death. Illegal street racing and reckless driving. Every day on the roads, I see people texting & driving, pretending they are on a nascar track weaving in and out of traffic like they will win a cash prize if they make it home first, or just plain not paying attention on the roads. People die daily due to careless driving. Everyone is so damn selfish that they don’t really care that having a text conversation while driving could end up killing some poor family or ruin someone’s life. Nope, that conversation matters. Nope, so what if they cut you off or swerve into your lane clipping your fender, its your problem to get your car fixed. There is no sense of common decency amongst us anymore. Nope, 2 rich people who could afford to go rent out a real race track and see how fast their car can really go, end up doing it on a real street and luckily only taking their own lives. Do I enjoy watching the F&F movies, most of them. But I understand the difference between the silver screen and the real world and have to drive along side people I think believed they really could drag around a giant vault with 2 cars……
- And lastly, ah, the Vikings Stadium ground breaking is today. The deal is done and the iron is in place to begin the work, but we still don’t really know who is paying for it or how. The public contribution to the Wilf’s new palace is a mystery and riddle wrapped in a carefully botched series of statements from Mark Dayton. I get misguided crap for “being pro-stadium”. Look, I wish billionaires would build their own damn stadiums, but they don’t and this thing was going to happen. I supported having the stadium in Arden Hills, Heck, I thought as long as the voters got to vote on the sales tax increase, I supported the Anoka County plan way back when. I saw the stadium as a way of breaking the Minneapolis mafia’s monopoly. We are a metro area with several distinct destinations and attractions, not a monolithic hub urban utopia. We are funneling billions of dollars into a failed city experimenting with neo-socialist theology while people are being gunned down in gang wars and kids are failing out of schools at the worst rate in the nation. Yet Minnesota keeps rewarding these sham politicians with billions in new trains, stadiums, municipal welfare cloaked as LGA, and bailing them out on failed policy and promise one after the other. I supported building the Stadium in Arden Hills to hurt Minneapolis and force MNDOT and other leaders to understand their is life and growing populations north of Hwy 36. The key to killing off the LRT mass transit car hating tree hugging hippie utopian unicorn dream centrally planned society is to allow growth to expand outward, not force it inward where they rip up perfectly good parking lots to build subsidized restaurants and hotels that no one wants to go to because you can’t park or will get mugged trying to get there. The stadium was going to happen. There was no way to stop it. There wasn’t. Allowing it to happen in the absolute possible place politically with the absolute worst funding was foolish and certain politicians running for statewide office will soon realize having a few high profile lobbyists on speed dial amounts to about 1% approval ratings in GOP straw polls and such. People’s careers deserve to be destroyed for forcing this thing through so hastily and with out long term vision and seizing the opportunity to use this as a way of getting left leaning urbanites to support suburban growth and expansions.