Senator Bachmann Conversation Part Four
The Taxpayers bill of rights. Itâ€™s another constitutional amendment that limits spending to population growth plus inflation. It deosnâ€™t stop local governments like cities and counties from spending more, it is for the state.
Colorado has this. They passed it in to law 12 to 13 yrars ago. And in that time since, Colorado has become the #1 economic engine in the nation. Businesses know just what to expect. They know that there wonâ€™t be any dramatic tax increases, and businesses are flocking to the state as a result.
At this point in the interview, a man came up to tell Senator Bachmann how much he supported her, and let her know that he wanted her to keep it up.
The Senator and I now moved to the topic of trains, I told her these were a major sore point for me.
Triple_a: So how many more trains will we have to pay for?
Here is the information from the Met Council about the recent bonding bill.
In addition to the funding for Northstar, the bonding package includes:
â€¢ $10 million for bus rapid transit in the Cedar Avenue corridor from the Mall of America in Bloomington to Lakeville.
â€¢ $5.25 million for an 11-mile light-rail line or bus rapid transit in the Central corridor on University Avenue between the two downtowns. (A cost-benefit analysis of the two alternatives is nearing completion.)
â€¢ $500,000 for continued work on the Red Rock corridor from Hastings through downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.
â€¢ $500,000 for work on the Rush Line corridor from downtown St. Paul through Ramsey, Washington, Chisago and Pine Counties.
She let me know that her and Rep. Vandeveer took their families for a ride one day. They videotaped the experienced. They did so to point out how you donâ€™t have to buy a ticket to get on the thing.
She gave me some numbers on the Hiawatha line. The riders of the line pay only 15% of the actual fare. The annual cost that the taxpayers of Minnesota contribute or rather subcidize is $3900 per rider.
In the recent bonding bill, there was millions of dollars committed to some other trains. There is the Red Rock, Northstar, and and other lines too. We spent millions on these projects, but ingnored the roads.
Senator Bachmann was a tax lawyer before she was in the Senate. Her parents were married in 1950. As a child, her parents paid 5% income tax. That left the other 95% of their money up to them to decide how it is spent. Today, most families pay between 40% and 60% in taxes. This is driving women out of the home. The legislature is taking away the choices from the people.
Government canâ€™t subcidize its way into prosperity.
We have an older population now. There is a reduced number of new businesses starting every year. She pointed ouit that it has been 25 years since a fortune 500 company came to Minnesota. Our climate in the state is less than favorable to business.
As our conversation wrapped up, she had 2 points she wanted to stress.
She believes that having a biological mother and biological father in the family means less problems for kids. The family is the most important thing we have.
And then she had this shocking number $5,000,000,000,000.00. That is the amount of money that Americans have spent on social programs nationwide since the 1960′s. That is five trillion dollars.